In 2017, there are exactly 40 days from Thanksgiving Day to New Years Day. And with the elimination of the eighth floor display at Macy’s in downtown Minneapolis and Holiday Lights in the Park in Saint Paul, along with the disappointing change from tradition at Holidazzle, more people than ever are looking for new holiday activities. Enter “40 Ways to Holiday.” Each day between November 23 and January 1 will have at least one event worth checking out, along with plenty of giveaways along the way! Find the full list of days here.
Day 17: Saturday, December 9
Featured pick: Family photo hours in the Sunken Garden at Como Park Zoo and Conservatory
You can use the Marjorie McNeely Conservatory at Como Park Zoo in Saint Paul as the perfect backdrop for your family’s holiday photo! Bring your own camera and explore the North Garden or the ever-popular Sunken Garden to find a spot. And it’s all indoors, so those bulky jackets won’t be seen! Typically, Como requires a photography application and permit for posed pictures taken inside the Conservatory. That’ll set you back $25. Their policy also has a maximum of two people per photograph. Today, those rules are thrown out, although there will be a $5 charge per person. Family photo hours are held throughout the holiday season. Check Como Park Zoo’s event calendar to find a date that works with your family.
Artist, Photographer and Family Photo Hours in the Marjorie McNeely Conservatory
Saturday, December 9
Starting at 8:00 a.m.
Como Park Zoo and Conservatory
$5 per person
- The Shoreview Northern Lights Variety Band and the Minnesota Boychoir team up with Twin Cities television legend Don Shelby for a performance of “Twas the Night Before Christmas” at Benson Great Hall on the campus of Bethel University in Arden Hills. Performance time is 7:00 p.m. Tickets are $13 and are available online.
- The top bakeries in the Twin Cities will sell goods in one spot at Union Depot’s 5th Annual Holiday Bake Sale. A cake walk will take place every 30 minutes and the day will be filled with baking demonstrations. Over 20 bakeries are signed up — make sure to visit Something Sweet by Maddie Lu, ALMA and The Buttered Tin. Tickets are $5 and 100% of proceeds will benefit Neighborhood House. Those 60 and better along with kids under 12 get in free. The Bake Sale goes from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Santa and live reindeer visit Radisson Blu Mall of America today from 2:00-4:00 p.m. You don’t need to be a hotel guest to say hello.
- Downtown Excelsior is celebrating Christmas the first three Saturdays in December. Festivities include horse drawn wagon rides, cocoa with Santa and carolers. Festivities run from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- The good looking men making up Celtic Thunder will perform holiday tunes with a full symphony orchestra tonight at the State Theatre in Downtown Minneapolis. The show starts at 7:30 p.m.
- Listen to traditional Swedish holiday music at the American Swedish Institute in Minneapolis. Tickets are $15 and include admission to the museum on-site. Performances are at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.