Sam’s Christmas Village & Light Tour is a partner of Give Me The Mike
For Twin Cities residents who miss the now closed Holiday Lights in the Park at Lake Phalen in Saint Paul, I have an option you will love.
Sam’s Christmas Village & Light Tour is a walk-though and drive-through display with more than 4 million lights. Right before Thanksgiving, I visited Somerset, Wisconsin, to see what they have in store for the 2019 holiday season.
Although you just read Somerset, Wisconsin, don’t let the distance stop you from attending. It took me only 40 minutes during rush hour to get to Somerset from Saint Paul, and on the way home, my drive to downtown Minneapolis was only 45 minutes. If you take Highway 36, it’s a breeze. Once you’re at Stillwater, it’s less than 20 minutes. If you’re familiar with Somerset, Sam’s Christmas Village & Light Tour sits on the site of Float Rite Park, along the banks of the Apple River.
Sam’s is open 7 nights a week from November 29th, 2019 through January 5th, 2020 (closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day). On Monday and Tuesday nights, the half-mile route is drive-through only, giving people who may not want to or be able to walk through the display enjoy it. From Wednesday through Sunday, it is walk-through only and is closed off to cars. From my experience, it’s best as a walk-through experience, as there are a lot of photo opportunities along the route, including a large Christmas bulb you can stand inside.
The half-mile light display is just the beginning at Sam’s Christmas Village & Light Tour. On Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, there will be a Christmas Market with beverages, treats and gifts for sale. It has the vibe of an adorable European Christmas market. Make sure to pay a visit to the Knoke’s Chocolates booth.
There’s also a large restaurant where you can warm up. General Sam’s Bar & Grill will be open, serving food and drinks.
If you’re heading up there with a group, you have the option of renting out a heated cabin for the evening for $99. It includes a s’mores kit, a visit from Santa and a private home base for your group.
I would love to hear what you think of Sam’s Christmas Village & Light Tour! Comment below or post on my Facebook page.
Sam’s Christmas Village & Light Tour
710 Spring Street
Somerset, WI 54025
- Open November 29th, 2019 – January 5th, 2020
- Closed December 24th – 25th
- Sunday – Thursday: 5:00 – 9:00 pm
- Friday – Saturday: 5:00 – 10:00 pm
- Tickets: $10 ages 11-64, $8 ages 65 and better, $5 kids ages 4-10, free ages 3 and under
- Half-price for members of the military (bring a military ID)
- Cash, credit and debit cards are accepted
- Monday – Tuesday are drive-through only
- Wednesday – Sunday are walk-through only
Know before you go to Sam’s Christmas Village & Light Tour:
- Wear snow boots and snow pants. You’ll be venturing into the snow to get the best photos. I went before snow fell and conquered some muddy spots along the dirt path.
- No outside food or beverage is allowed.
- If you’re coming from the Twin Cities, Highway 36 is definitely your best bet. You may want to look up the directions before you hop in the car, as Apple Maps had me a bit lost once I got into Somerset.
- Dogs (on a leash) are allowed.