In 2017, there are exactly 40 days from Thanksgiving Day to New Years Day. And with the elimination of the eighth floor display at Macy’s in downtown Minneapolis and Holiday Lights in the Park in Saint Paul, along with the disappointing change from tradition at Holidazzle, more people than ever are looking for new holiday activities. Enter “40 Ways to Holiday.” Each day between November 23 and January 1 will have at least one event worth checking out, along with plenty of giveaways along the way! Find the full list of days here.
Day 10: Saturday, December 2
Featured pick: StarTribune Holiday Cookie Contest Sampling
You can sample the winning cookies of the StarTribune’s Annual Holiday Cookie Contest at Mill City Museum in Minneapolis from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. A program will start at 12:30 p.m. Attendees will also be able to vote for a visitor’s choice award that’ll be presented. The winner and runners-up for the StarTribune’s Cookie Contest are announced in the paper November 30.
StarTribune Holiday Cookie Contest Sampling
Mill City Museum
Saturday, December 2
12:30 – 4:00 p.m.
Included with museum admission: $12 adults, $10 seniors, veterans/active military, college students, $6 ages 5-17, free age 4 and under and Minnesota Historical Society members
- It’s liveliest weekend of the year at the American Swedish Institute (ASI) in Minneapolis. Julmarknad is a Christmas market with more than 40 local artists selling jewelry, glass, clothing, wood and other unique items. ASI’s own gift shop will be open as well. The restaurant at ASI, FIKA, will have a special menu and a bake sale will also take place. If you haven’t checked out the mansion, the holidays are a great time to walk through, and it’s bound to give you inspiration for decorating your own home for the season. Tickets are $10 for adults and includes admission to the museum. Julmarknad runs today from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and on Sunday, December 3 from 12:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- The American Craft Council will have 60 of Minnesota’s top artists in one spot today. Their Holiday Craft Hop takes place from 12:00 – 5:00 p.m. at the historic Grain Belt Brew House in Northeast Minneapolis. Those who attend will receive a code for 50% off tickets to the Craft Council’s biggest event of the year, the American Craft Show, which is held in April in downtown Saint Paul.
- Downtown Stillwater is celebrating the holidays with free coffee, cocoa and cookies during their Twinkle Party on December 2nd from 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. Kids 12 and under will receive free twinkle lights while supplies last. The afternoon include special appearances the Teddy Bear Band and Santa!
- It’s the last day to shop from 75 vendors during the annual Holiday Bazaar at the Landmark Center in Saint Paul. Learn more.
- Today is the first day of the Twin Cities Largest Tea Party. Learn more.
- It’s Christmastime in Excelsior. You can go on a horse drawn carriage ride, take the kids to a free movie, and sit down for a community chili dinner. Festivities start at 9:30 a.m. today and go until the afterparty ends at Excelsior Brewing Company.
- It doesn’t scream season’s greetings, but Monster Jam takes place tonight at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. And I’m giving away tickets, along with pit passes to get you on the course, on my website. The deadline to enter is Sunday, November 26.
- It’s the opening weekend of Youth Performance Company’s production of “Narnia,” based on the C.S. Lewis’ “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.” Shows run through December 17 and tickets are only $7 – 15. Performances take place inside the Howard Conn Performing Arts Center just south of Downtown Minneapolis. “Narnia” is recommended for kids third grade and up.
- Get a family photo, see a show and make crafts at the Hopkins Center for the Arts. Stages Theatre Company will host its annual Snowball Winter Gala at 2:00 p.m. The family-friendly event includes a performance of their current show, “Beauty and the Beast Jr.” Tickets are $50 and the emcee for the afternoon is my good friend, Kelli Hanson from KSTP’s Twin Cities Live.
- Nothing says happy holidays more than corgi races! Head to the Warner Coliseum at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds today and tomorrow for a big puppy play date.
- Beer Choir Twin Cities hosts a Holiday Night Market at 56 Brewing in Northeast Minneapolis. The venue is dog-friendly inside and out.
- You and your four-legged friend can enjoy brunch together and take a photo with Santa today from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. at Restaurant ninetwentyfive inside the Hotel Landing in Wayzata. The new hotel is pet-friendly if you’re looking for a staycation spot but don’t want to leave your pup behind.
- I loved visiting Muddy Waters Bar and Grill in Prescott, Wisconsin, for the first time earlier this year. Their Christmas tree will be lit for the season today. And this isn’t no six foot tree. Check out these photos on their Facebook page. Festivities begin at noon. While you’re there, head inside and guess the number of Christmas bulbs hanging from the ceiling.
2 thoughts on “40 Ways to Holiday, Day 10: December 2”