In 2019, the Minnesota State Fair brought two million people together for 12 days of fun. So it was an obvious, yet disappointing, choice to cancel the 2020 State Fair due to the Coronavirus.
To give some Minnesotans a taste of the Great Minnesota Get Together, State Fair officials planned the first-ever State Fair Food Parade. Tickets sold out in the matter of two hours.
If you have tickets to the Food Parade, or want to see how it went, I went on day one and documented the whole experience. Click here for a full guide.
There are plenty of other ways to get a taste of State Fair foods leading up to Labor Day. Check out this list of restaurants and businesses where you can find official Fair foods.
I will keep adding to this guide as I hear of more options. Thanks to Becky Olssen for this suggestion!
State Fair Food Crawl
Inside Midtown Global Market, Minneapolis
- Manny’s Tortas — typically in the Food Building; famous for Piña Coladas served in a pineapple.
- Andy’s Garage — the sister restaurant to Andy’s Grill, the State Fair spot where staff perform “Grease Lightning” at the top of every hour.
- Hot Indian Foods — typically in the International Bazaar; get the Kentikka Fried Chicken.
- Produce Exchange — known for their huge peaches.
- In total, 12 restaurants in Midtown Global Market are participating in the Great Global Get Together, which runs Thursday, August 27 through Sunday, September 6. Learn more here.
Inside POTLUCK, Roseville
- Nordic Waffles — typically in the West End Market; you are able to purchase the Strawberr-EO Surprise, an iconic strawberry picnic dessert with a double-stuffed cookie surprise in a waffle for $7.99. You can also try The Sassy Waffletarian, a plant-based sausage, topped with sautéed peppers and onions, finished with a slight kick of chef’s secret salsa for $8.99.
- All seven restaurants inside POTLUCK at Rosedale Center will serve up State Fair themed food as part of their Minnesota Fare celebration, which runs Thursday, August 27 through Monday, September 7. Learn more here.
- Sara’s Tipsy Pies — typically in the Food Building; her shop in Stillwater sells sweet and savory hand pies mixed with alcohol, including 2 Gingers Irish Whiskey, Finnegans beer, and Chateau St. Croix wine. Pies are also available in the freezer section at many grocery stores. Starting August 23, freshly-baked pies will be available in the bakery section at Cub Foods.
- Lift Bridge Brewing Company — served at the Ball Park Cafe and Cafe Caribe; they will serve up their famous Mini Donut Beer along with their Key Lime Pie Beer on tap between August 27 and September 7.
Edina, Maple Grove, Saint Paul or Minneapolis (you pick)
- Blue Barn — typically in the West End Market; the menu from Blue Barn will be served at its sister restaurant. You can order Meatloaf On-A-Stick, Nashville Hot Chicken On-A-Stick, Chicken in a Waffle Cone, Pop Rocks French Toast, Blue Cheese and Corn Fritz and Blueberry Basil Lemonade. The menu items are available for dine-in or carry out at the following restaurants:
- 3 Squares, Maple Grove
- Edina Grill, Edina
- The Freehouse, Minneapolis
- The Lowry, Minneapolis
- Longfellow Grill, Minneapolis
- Highland Grill, Saint Paul
- Groveland Tap, Saint Paul
- Minneapple Pie — typically in front of the Dairy Building; you will find their deep-fried apple pies outside of the Cub Foods in Maplewood (2390 White Bear Avenue) August 28, 29 and 30. It’s one of my favorite Fair foods!
- Minnesnowii Ice — typically in the West End Market; Minnesnowii is not your average shaved ice — their Mangonada is delicious combination of flavors that will have you feeling like you’re on vacation. On August 29 – 30, they will be in the Maplewood Mall parking lot with two other official State Fair foods, the Flowering Onions and Scotch Eggs. Minnesnowii will be back at Maplewood Mall September 12 – 13 and September 26 – 27. Check them out 11:00 am – 7:00 pm Saturday and 11:00 am – 6:00 pm Sunday. (Note: Pronto Pups will join them for the September weekends).
- Minnesnowii Ice — typically in the West End Market; Minnesnowii is not your average shaved ice — their Mangonada is delicious combination of flavors that will have you feeling like you’re on vacation. From August 27 – 30 and September 3 – 6, they will be outside the Schuler Shoes at Burnsville Center. Hours: 12:00 – 7:00 pm Thursday through Saturday, 12:00 – 6:00 pm Sunday.
- Minnesnowii Ice — typically in the West End Market; Minnesnowii is not your average shaved ice — their Mangonada is delicious combination of flavors that will have you feeling like you’re on vacation. From August 27 – 30, they will be at the Olmstead County Fairgrounds in Rochester. Visit them Thursday from 3:00 – 8:00 pm, Friday and Saturday from 11:00 – 8:00 pm, and Sunday from 11:00 am – 4:00 pm.
Know of another official State Fair food worthy of going on this crawl? Let me know!
Also on Give Me The Mike…