Sam’s Christmas Village & Light Tour is a partner of Give Me The Mike
Sam’s Christmas Village & Light Tour, located in Somerset, Wisconsin, is adding an additional 2.5 million lights to their display in 2020, giving you an extra cup of cheer this holiday season.
Although you just read Somerset, Wisconsin, don’t let the distance stop you from attending. It took me only 40 minutes during rush hour to get to Somerset from Saint Paul, and on the way home, my drive to Downtown Minneapolis was only 45 minutes. If you take Highway 36, it’s a breeze. Once you’re in Stillwater, it’s less than 20 minutes. If you’re familiar with Somerset, Sam’s Christmas Village & Light Tour sits on the site of Float Rite Park, along the banks of the Apple River.
With more than 6 million lights, Sam’s is open 7 nights a week from November 27th, 2020 through January 2nd, 2021 (closed Christmas Eve). On Monday and Tuesday nights, the one-mile route is drive-through only, giving people who may not want to or be able to walk through the display enjoy it. Then on Wednesdays through Sundays, it is walk-through only and is closed off to cars. From my experience, it’s best as a walk-through experience, as there are a lot of photo opportunities along the route, including a large Christmas bulb you can stand inside.
In addition to the typical lit trees, there’s a great light display dedicated to the armed forces and first responders.
The one-mile light display is just the beginning at Sam’s Christmas Village & Light Tour. On Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, there will be a Christmas Market with beverages, treats and gifts for sale. It has the vibe of an adorable European Christmas market.
There’s also a large restaurant where you can warm up. General Sam’s Bar & Grill will be open, serving food and drinks.
If you’re heading up there with a group, you have the option of renting out a heated cabin for the evening for $99. It includes a s’mores kit, a visit from Santa and a private home base for your group.
Besides adding 2.5 million lights in 2020, the team at Sam’s added a 50 foot animated Christmas tree for all to enjoy.
Sam’s Christmas Village & Light Tour
710 Spring Street
Somerset, WI 54025
- November 27th, 2020 – January 2nd, 2021 (closed December 24th)
- Tickets: $12 adults, $10 kids ages 4 – 10, free kids 3 and under
- $6 for members of the military (bring your military ID)
- Parking is $10 Wednesday – Sunday nights
- 7 nights a week from 5:00 – 9:00 pm
- Mondays – Tuesdays are drive-through only
- Wednesdays – Sundays are walk-through only
- Dogs are allowed (must be leashed)
Know before you go
- Wear snow boots and snow pants. You’ll be venturing into the snow to get the best photos. I went before snow fell and conquered some muddy spots along the dirt path.
- Outside food or beverages are not allowed, however, food and beverage are available for purchase on-site.
- If you’re coming from the Twin Cities, Highway 36 is your best bet. You may want to look up the directions before you hop in the car, as Apple Maps had me a bit lost once I got into Somerset.
Sam’s Christmas Village & Light Tour is the title sponsor of Give Me The Mike’s 2020 Minnesota Holiday Lights Display Guide.