In 2017, there are exactly 40 days from Thanksgiving Day to New Years Day. And with the elimination of the eighth floor display at Macy’s in downtown Minneapolis and Holiday Lights in the Park in Saint Paul, along with the disappointing change from tradition at Holidazzle, more people than ever are looking for new holiday activities. Enter “40 Ways to Holiday.” Each day between November 23 and January 1 will have at least one event worth checking out, along with plenty of giveaways along the way! Find the full list of days here.
Day 9: Friday, December 1
Featured pick: Lutefisk Feed at Mount Olivet
It’s a tradition that has lasted nearly 90 years. The congregation of Mount Olivet Lutheran Church in south Minneapolis invite the community in for an all-you-can eat buffet of lutefisk. Don’t know what lutefisk is? Google it before you go. It’s…um…different. The buffet has food for everyone, though: Swedish meatballs, boiled potatoes, lease, rice pudding with lingonberries and more. Tickets will be sold at the door.
88th Lutefisk Dinner
Friday, December 1
3:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Mount Olivet Lutheran Church, Minneapolis
Tickets: $20 adults, $5 kids under 12
- The University of Minnesota’s College of Science and Engineering (CSE) will premiere a student-designed 3D outdoor light show starting at 5:00 p.m. on December 1. It features 250,000 LED lights (!!!) set to music. Coolest part: much of the show is designed, sequenced, composed and performed by U of M students. The December 1 premiere includes a party inside Rampson Hall on campus. Free hot chocolate and cookies will be served. The show lasts about 20 minutes and repeats at 6:00 and 6:30 p.m. They’ll also run the light show on December 2, 7, 8 and 9.
- Holiday celebrations kick off tonight at Union Depot in Lowertown Saint Paul. “American Idol” contestant Eric Gordon will perform, and a tree lighting happens at 7:15 p.m. It’s the first day of Union Depot’s European Christmas Market, an outdoor shopping experience based on the traditional open air Christkindlmarkts in Germany, Austria and other European countries. Gluhewein (spiced mulled wine) will keep you warm. Both the tree lighting and the Christmas Market are free to attend.
- An Old Fashioned Holiday Bazaar continues at Landmark Center in Saint Paul. Learn more.
- Tonight is the annual 12 Bars of Christmas in Downtown Minneapolis. Those with the $35 wristbands will receive free cover at 12 bars along with drink specials.
- Over 100 “indie-makers” will set up shop inside the Midtown Global Market in Minneapolis for the No Coast Craft O’Rama. It runs today from 3:00 – 8:00 p.m. and again on Saturday, December 2 from 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- If you want a holiday show where every person will be offended, Miss Richfield 1981’s annual production is for you. Tonight is opening night at the Illusion Theater in Downtown Minneapolis. Learn more.