In 2017, there are exactly 40 days from Thanksgiving Day to New Years Day. And with the elimination of the eighth floor display at Macy’s in downtown Minneapolis and Holiday Lights in the Park in Saint Paul, along with the disappointing change from tradition at Holidazzle, more people than ever are looking for new holiday activities. Enter “40 Ways to Holiday.” Each day between November 23 and January 1 will have at least one event worth checking out, along with plenty of giveaways along the way! Find the full list of days here.
Day 39: Sunday, December 31
Featured pick: New Years Eve at Can Can Wonderland
Celebrate New Years Eve with champagne towers, wearable art, mini golf, face painting and a balloon drop at Can Can Wonderland in Saint Paul. Not only will the party be a celebration to ring in 2018, you’ll be there when Can Can Wonderland turns one year-old. Music will be provided by the Brass Messengers. Doors open at 8:00 p.m. and celebration goes until 2:00 a.m.
Heads up: I’m giving away a pair of tickets to this party! Check back on Monday, December 18 for your chance to win.
New Years Eve at Can Can Wonderland
Sunday, December 31
8:00 p.m. – 2:00 a.m.
Tickets: $35 – 60
- Afton Alps, outside of Hastings, hosts a family-friendly New Years celebration with skiing and snowboarding, a bonfire and hillside fireworks at 10:00 p.m. They’re running a deal, too — buy a lift ticket after 9:30 p.m. and you’ll be able to ski or snowboard on January 1 for free.
- GIVEAWAY: Head to my Facebook page on Tuesday, December 12 for your chance to win lift passes to Afton Alps!
- One of the most kind human beings I’ve had the pleasure to meet is comedian Louie Anderson. The co-star of “Baskets” on FX is back in his home state for two shows at the Ames Center in Burnsville. Tickets are expected to sell out quick, so act fast! (Links to purchase tickets online: 6:30 p.m. show; 9:30 p.m. show)
- Ring in the New Year at noon. Como Park Zoo and Conservatory hosts it’s ever-popular Noon Year’s Party starting at 10:00 a.m. today and tomorrow. Learn more.
- Fort Snelling State Park hosts an annual candlelight walk from 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. You can hike miles of candle-lit