Give Me The Mike’s Best of Minnesota guides are presented by HomeLight
After collecting hundreds of votes, I presented the top 5 picks for the best Mexican restaurants on KSTP-TV’s Twin Cities Live — and those are listed below.
While votes came in, I heard from people saying that certain Mexican restaurants don’t serve authentic food and that you need to go to specific parts of the Twin Cities to find true Mexican food. I don’t buy it. No matter if you’re in Minneapolis or Madelia, nearly every establishment has a story to tell.
There are a lot of Mexican restaurants out there, and I encourage you to try out new spots. Underneath the top 5, check out an expanded list of restaurants which made the top 20, including some of my personal favorites. And let me know what you think! You can reach out to me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
11 Cesar Chavez Street, Saint Paul 55107
Boca Chica opened in 1964 with just four tables. It now has 64 tables and a patio which seats around 75 people.
They serve a lunch buffet Monday-Friday and a Sunday brunch from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm.
What to order: Flautas Banderas, Carne a la Tampiqueña, Tacos Monterrey.
Also on Give Me The Mike…
175 Cesar Chavez Street, Saint Paul 55107
El Burrito Mercado is not only a restaurant, but also has a market and cafeteria. It opened in 1979.
What to order: Chicken Mole, Ceviche de Camaron, Sopes with 3 Guisados.
2 locations, including the one pictured:
605 West 7th Street W, Saint Paul 55102
Pajarito opened in December 2016 in a building dating back to 1886.
Stop in for lunch to avoid long wait times.
Make sure to order one of their craft cocktails.
What to order: Chilaquiles, Elote style Brussels Sprouts, Torta.
Also on Give Me The Mike…
15 W Main Street, Madelia 56062
La Plaza F!esta originally opened in 2011. A fire completely destroyed the restaurant in 2016.
They rebuilt and expanded to nearly 150 seats. The new restaurant includes a grocery store next door.
All the tables and chairs were painted and carved in Mexico.
What to order: Flaming Cheese, Malcajete F!esta, Seafood Ceviche.
230 Lewis Street S, Shakopee 55379
Family-owned Pablo’s opened in 1986. Four expansions and a remodel later, it features 260 seats.
They are closed Sundays.
What to order: Margarita flight, Ultimate Chimichanga, Surf & Turf with Tamale, 3 Enchiladas & Chile Relleno.
Want more recommended Mexican restaurants? Check out these spots, suggested by your votes!
- Las Tortillas Mexican Restaurant, Rosemount
- Andale Taqueria & Mercado, Richfield
- Las Margaritas, Hastings
- Fiesta Cancun, Oak Park Heights, Lino Lakes, Maple Grove, Hudson
- El Gordito Market, Crookston
- El Loro, Lexington, Eagan, Crystal, Coon Rapids, Bloomington
- Maya Cuisine, Minneapolis, Roseville, Maplewood
- Nacho Mama’s, Stillwater
- El Molino Mexican Restaurant, Waseca
- Casa Rio, Anoka
- El Taco Riendo, Minneapolis
- Companeros, Dorset
- Taco Loco, Shakopee
- Acapulco, Andover, Blaine, Ham Lake, Maplewood, New Brighton, Ramsey, Stillwater, Woodbury
- Colita, Minneapolis
Did you enjoy this roundup of the best Mexican restaurants in Minnesota? Check out my other Best of Minnesota guides
- 5 best places to play bingo in Minnesota
- The 5 best meat raffles in Minnesota
- The 5 best restaurants for fried fish in Minnesota
- Hidden gems at the 5 best museums in Minnesota
- The best restaurant, brewery and winery patios in Minnesota
- The 17 best restaurants for breakfast in Minnesota
- The 5 best bakeries in Minnesota
- The 5 best holiday light displays in Minnesota
- The 5 best coffee shops in Minnesota
- The best pizzerias in Minnesota
- 7 top spots for a margarita in the Twin Cities
- 17 favorite bookstores in the Twin Cities
- 4 places serving the best Broasted chicken in Minnesota
New to Give Me The Mike?
Don’t miss another Minnesota top 5 guide! Receive new posts from Give Me The Mike in your inbox.